Looking today at the beautiful serene bay of Rio Nuevo, it's hard to believe this was the scene of one of Jamaica's largest military and naval engagement.

 

 

Rio Nuevo Village

About Us

Rio Nuevo Village is home to the site of the final battle between the British and the Spanish to gain control of Jamaica in 1658. This village is located in the parish of St. Mary which captures the imagination of many past pioneering, breed of adventure seekers who left the glitz of Hollywood to escape to a place that seemed lost in time.  Rio Nuevo Village sits on thirty acres which entails, a Georgian style great house, luscious tropical gardens, a river, and a beach.  We are located just ten minutes from Ocho Rios and five minutes from Ian Fleming International airport.

Dating to as far back as 900 A.D., the site has been an important settlement. Moreover, it is also a site of uncommon geological interest situated, as it is, close to an important fault line under the Caribbean Sea. Jon Bonhomme , who was Barbadian was one of the earliest settlers in Jamaica. He received a grant in December 1670 of 1,000 acres of land beside the Rio Nuevo. By 1675, the area of Rio Nuevo and Spring Valley was recognized as a 'settled territory'. The town’s people of Rio Nuevo would have been intimately connected with the nearby estates such as Spring Valley Estate, Cardiff, Dee Side, Huddersfield, Retreat Estate and Warwick Castle through business, trade, professional services and even on same social levels. Between 1709 and 1739, Spring Valley Estate, the former Bonhomme grant was listed under the name of William Bucknor and then James Laing.